Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Grilled Prawns

IMG_9168eEammon asked for grilled prawns so I happily obliged as we all adore shrimp and we really enjoyed these little beauties.  I marinated the prawns for a few hours in a mango chipotle sauce and quickly grilled them using my grill basket.  The only down side of grilling the shrimp this way is…well there are really two* down sides but the first is that you really have to work for your dinner peeling the shrimp.  That though isn’t a total downside as peeling and eating these with friends and family makes dinner last a lot longer so more fun times together and also, I at least get to the point where I’m just done peeling so no over-eating there.  Cook the shrimp quickly on a super hot grill taking care to remove them as soon as they turn pink so not to overcook.

IMG_9155eGrilled Prawns

2 lbs. whole prawns
1 bottle Mango Chipotle Sauce

Wash and dry the prawns.  In a large bowl gently toss together the prawns and 2/3 to 3/4 of the Mango Chipotle Sauce and save the remainder to be used as extra dipping sauce.  Marinate in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.  Preheat grill and grill basket to high.  Spray the grill basket with cooking spray and working in batches quickly grill the prawns turning as necessary.  Cook just until the prawns turn pink being careful not to over cook.  Using cooking tongs remove the cooked shrimp from the basket to a serving platter.  Serve immediately with the leftover Mango Chipotle Sauce.

Enjoy!!

*  The second down side to making these prawns is the state of the grill basket which will be one baked on hot mess.  I didn’t think to take a picture of how bad the grill basket looked with baked on black antennas, pleopods & uropods crusted and stuck.  But I have an easy no-mess way to remove all that baked on mess and that’s to run the basket though the self cleaning cycle of my oven.  This is also the way that I clean my grill grates and since both my grill basket and grates are stainless steel, it works like a charm. 

IMG_9266eHere’s the grill basket after it’s been run through the oven’s self-cleaning cycle.

IMG_9280eAnd after a quick rinse and dry, clean of all debris.  I love my no scrub/no work method and to me it’s totally worth the three-hour cleaning cycle.  I do actually have another method for when my oven doesn’t need to be cleaned and it works almost as well.  Spray the grill basket with oven cleaner and place it in to a rubbish bag, seal it up tightly and leave it for about two days.  Remove the grill basket from the bag and run it through a cycle in the dishwasher.  Happy cleaning!

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. This looks so good! The mango chipotle sauce sounds phenomenal...
    -Ami

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look amazing I love prawns!!
    Sounds delicious Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love prawns! This grilled version looks so delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm. Is there any particular reason you chose not to buy them already peeled?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so delicious and that mango chipotle sauce sounds like it takes it to another level. Can't wait for our next cookout. I know what I'm contributing. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, this is perfectly delicious! I love that sauce and it's so simple. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! You've got me drooling over here! I think I'll gain some weight just looking at your blog! hahahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks too delicious. I will have to keep this recipe in mind for some future decadent day. Prawns is always favorite of mine, we make it every weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails