Friday, August 12, 2011

Kicked Up Piggy-Out Cookies

IMG_9701eSo the other day I made Spicy Brown Sugar Bacon and before Maisie gobbled down the entire pound of bacon I decided that we needed to use some of it in a kicked up version of the Piggy-Out Cookies that we made a few weeks ago.

IMG_9690ePlus, look at all that gorgeous sweet & spicy bacon fat just begging to be used in something special.  Also, see why I advocate the use of foil, it makes clean up *SO* much easier.

IMG_9691eLiquid gold…the bacon fat that I poured off from the pan and the perfect amount for my cookies.

IMG_9706eMaisie watched to make sure that all the ingredients mixed together properly.

IMG_9714eThen it was time to mix in the chocolate chunks and Spicy Brown Sugar Bacon

IMG_9717eReady for the oven.

IMG_9745eMaisie proudly showing off her Kicked Up Piggy-Out Cookies.  Oh and these cookies kicked some piggy tush…Awesome!

IMG_9734e Kicked Up Piggy-Out Cookies (Adapted from here)

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon
pinch of chile powder
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
5 strips of Spicy Brown Sugar Bacon or cooked bacon, diced or crumbled (I used hickory smoked) ~ plus more for the cook and helper to snack on
2 tbsp reserved bacon fat drippings (see that container behind the butter, well I keep bacon dripping in my freezer and every time I make bacon I just add to my stash)
4 TBS butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter 
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chunks

Preheat the oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with a Silpat or parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, chile powder and salt. With a stand mixer, beat the butter, peanut butter and reserved bacon fat drippings on medium-high until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the white and brown sugars and beat until creamy, about 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the egg and vanilla and continue beating about 2 minutes.

Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined and then by hand stir in the chocolate chunks and crispy bacon.  Using a medium scoop portion out the cookies onto prepared baking sheets. (I got 22 cookies)  Flatten the cookie balls slightly with your fingers and then bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Let the cookies cool for about 2 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. The cookies were wonderful when they were still a bit warm from the oven but I preferred them even more the next day.  I stored them in a zipper bag in the fridge over night and the next day were awesome, a bit crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle.  I’m telling you, make these cookies then pour yourself a giant glass of milk and prepare to pig-out on these seriously sinful cookies.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I bet the flavor in these cookies is incredible from the sweet/spice blend from cooking the bacon previously. They sure look delicious. Yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so different and neat. I bet they taste amazing! new follower from VB. Visit my blog at tootsabellarose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my cholesterol just went up just looking at the cookies!! Wow, that is a deadly combination, they must taste just great!! If you are going to eat a cookie you might as well eat a really good cookie! That would make a great gift cookie since it's a little different but not that off the beaten path! Thanks for the recipe! So glad I found you on VoiceBoks! I'm now a happy follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an amazing and unique idea! My son would love cookies (bacon fiend!) so I might have to try these!

    The Smile Conquest Day 52 Awareness, Acceptance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa,
    I found you via voiceBoks. I love your blog and can't wait to try some recipes!
    ~Erin
    www.mynuggetsoftruth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How on earth did I miss this recipe? So glad I took the time to browse through this blog :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails